ECE Cloth Nappy Trials
Early Childhood Cloth Nappy Program
Auckland Council and the Nappy Lady collaborated with two Auckland Early Childhood Centres (Centre) in 2012 to see if it would be feasible for a day care to operate using cloth nappies. Both trials were very successful, and as a result, each Centre transitioned to using cloth nappies full time.
To date we have worked with over 60 centres in Auckland and continue to work with 8 new ECE’s
per year as part of the long term plan. One of the outcomes we have also noticed that there is further opportunity to work with the ECE centre to reduce more of the waste that the centre produces including food waste, packaging and also further educate them on the correct handling of their waste.
We are also now working with Tauranga City Council and are working with at least 3 ECE centres per year there and are about to start a trial in Kapiti for their centres.
The ECE Centres gain some excellent benefits through the trial:
- Cost savings on waste disposal and disposable nappy costs.
- Environmental benefits – reduced footprint
- Earlier toilet training.
- Greater engagement between parents and Centre staff.
What we do to initiate this programme:
- We work with the council to create the resources including a cloth nappy trial pack suitable for 12 children in nappies from NB-17kg.
- We provide on the ground Support and mentoring to the daycare to set the programme up and some phone support during the trial
- We can provide a workshop to all staff prior to using the cloth nappies and once trial is running sometimes a workshop to the parents who’s children attend is helpful or we encourage the parents to come to the workshop I am running while in the councils area.
Proposal for ECE Trial
- Assistance for the Centre to get wholesale prices to buy cloth nappies, if they decide to use them after the trial has been completed.
- Case Studies and other materials from Centres who have trialled cloth nappies.
- A booklet designed to assist ECE’s doing trials.